In January of 1942, the War Department announced the selection of Camp Hood as an Army post. Water was supplied to Camp Hood via a 24-inch cast iron main from the Lampasas River near the present Lake Stillhouse Hollow Lake. The dam and Lake Stillhouse came many years later.
As Camp Hood became Fort Hood and the civilian population grew, the need for a reliable, long term water supply also grew. In 1949, the US Corps of Engineers began construction to develop Lake Belton and on a similar schedule began construction for the first intake and water plant on Lake Belton. Initially, the Department of the Army (Army) was the water provider for the surrounding civilian communities. As the population continued to grow, the Army was denied approval to continue being the water provider. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the City of Killeen’s population increased from 1,265 residents in 1940 to 7,194 in 1950 and City and government officials estimated the population would increase to 20,000 by 1955.
The District was formed to be the vehicle to provide water and sewer service for Fort Hood and the surrounding civilian communities. The District was approved by theState Board of Water Engineers in 1952 and was authorized by House Bill 632 during the 54th legislature in 1955. On September 26, 1955, the Department of the Army signed a 50 year “Negotiated Water Service Contract” with Bell County Water Control & Improvement District #1 (the District). This contract was renewed and is in effect until 2050. The first water service contract with the City of Killeen was executed April 27, 1956 and has been amended many times, most recently in 2014 for capacity interest in the Lake Stillhouse Plant and Transmission Main Project.
The District is a conservation district and political subdivision of the State of Texas, created under the provisions of Article XVI, Section 59, of the Constitution of Texas and operates under the provisions of Chapter 9005, Texas Special District Laws Code, and Chapters 49 and 51 of the Texas Water Code. The initial boundaries of the district were established as the Killeen City Limits at that time plus some of the Fort Hood area. The district boundary was expanded in 1984 to match the then city limits of Killeen. At this time the remaining entities served by the District are not within the district boundary. Those entities are the cities of Copperas Cove, Harker Heights, Nolanville (WCID 3), Belton, 439 Water Supply Corporation and the majority of the Fort Hood base.